Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Flemish Landscape

Flemish Landscape

I think the title needs some explanation.
One of my favorite movies ever is Mystery Science Theater 3000, the theatrical release. It's the one where they mock the film "This Island Earth". Hilarious. There's a line where the film shows a scene and the character says "Look, they flew into a Flemish painting!". It's not one of the more humorous lines and frankly, I'm not sure what a Flemish painting really looks like. I'm sure there's some style or feature that defines it--I just don't know what it is. When I processed this image in PicSayPro and applied a slight cross-process, that line came into my head.

Photographically I basically broke the rule of thirds into little tiny shattered pieces but I don't care. I like it this way.

3 comments:

  1. If anyone has any thoughts on the whole Flemish painting thing I'd love to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the rule of thirds? Nice picture; I like it a lot. And we love looking at your website everyday.
    Dlora Dalton (Sarah's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rule of thirds is one of the basic rules of photography that says that when you split the frame into thirds both horizontally and vertically a photo is more interesting when the subject is located on one of those lines. Hence, a horizon should be either on the top third line or the bottom third line. Mine's in the middle. Also, the subject should have a third of the frame on one side and two-thirds on the other. Again--centered. But hey, it's art and while rules are nice to know, sometimes it just looks cool so you break them!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails